Don't laugh! There's nothing I love more than Panera Bread's soups and latte's in the fall season, but all I've been craving lately is their white cheddar macaroni and cheese! I decided to hunt for the recipe, instead of spending the same amount of money on ingredients for a family, versus the serving for one! This gentleman created a recipe that comes quite close to Panera's deliciousness! If you enjoy cooking up simple, yummy, quick dishes this is meant for you!
-12 oz pasta shells
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 4 oz Vermont Sharp Cheddar
- 4 oz White American Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Boil pasta until tender then drain.
- Create roux by microwaving on high 5 tablespoons of butter with 4 tablespoons of flour for 2 minutes, stopping after each minute to whisk.
- Mix 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream together. Pour mixture into the roux very slowly, whisking entire the time.
- Microwave mixture 1 minute at a time, stirring between minutes until the sauce becomes thick and creamy. (should take between 4 and 6 minutes)
- While sauce is hot, add grated cheddar and American cheese in small handfuls while stirring. You can further melt cheese in the microwave if need to.
- The sauce should creamy. Add milk if mixture is too thick, or flour if mixture is too thin. Reheat and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix pasta shells and sauce together in serving dish.
Silly post, I know! I've been so busy packing and getting things together for the move! I've got lots of painting and sewing to do still! I feel like my list never ends! I will be sharing some of the move and projects for the apartment soon. =]