Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you all are having a great day! I'll be at my grandma's with lots of food, family, fun and football! Yet, I take a moment to recognize how blessed I am. I have a roof over my head, food in my cupboard, family, friends, love. There are people starving, without an education, without shelter, no care or want for technology, rather clean water to drink.
More to be thankful stories: I work throughout the week at a hospital. Yesterday I met two patients. One was a young boy, in his twenties. He was just diagnosed with testicular cancer. Can you imagine being that young? After treatment he most likely won't be able to have children. I felt so bad. Another man was visiting family from out of state, mid-thirties, with little kids. He was playing rough with them and thought he hurt a rib, when we took the x-ray he had a nodule taking up half of his lung, most likely cancer and was rushed immediately for a biopsy. Another situation I couldn't imagine.. being surprised and unsure how serious it is, if it is, how long you'll live.. If you'll live to see your children grow up. You never know what tomorrow holds.

I sometimes get bitter and selfish, but I have to live every day to it's fullest. I have to be thankful for what I have, rather than what I don't. Today give thanks! 

3 comments:

  1. Working in a hospital must be so hard! I lost my grandma 3 thanksgivings ago and it's so hard dealing with it close to the holidays. It does make you thankful for the family you do have though.. HAPPY turkey day<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thoses stories are really sad, i can't even begin to amagine what it must be like to have a terminal disease at this age :( it definitely makes my complaints about a cold or an early morning lecture seem ridiculous! x

    ReplyDelete